Monday, January 19, 2009

The day before...

So much is buried in the above title--

For now I write the syllabus for my 8am class--starting tomorrow.

A wonderful quote which begins my painting 2 syllabus:

"Painting has a unique capacity to illuminate how objects in the real world are experienced, because a painting, while alluding to a memory of real world objects and experiences, also conveys the memory through the medium of a very palpable material. A material which occupies its own space in the world and thus become a thing." Jonathan Lasker, Dense Fictions

And too, swirling about my head IS Martin Luther King's I have a dream speech. I listened to that incredibly powerful, poetic and inspiring speech in its entirety in my car outside the art building, and yes, I could not help but cry (real tears) with hope:

"....When we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

No comments: